These air-fried kale chips are so easy, incredibly delicious, crunchy and super healthy! They’re the perfect snack for anytime of day.
Happy Tuesday everyone!
I hope you enjoyed the long weekend ❤
The weather here in SF has been B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L… I’m talking 80 degree weather beautiful. We spent a majority of our weekend outside, and definitely got a little too much sun.
Dyl and I ate ribs, steak, and In and Out this weekend, sooo these kale chips are the perfect snack to balance that out. That’s how it works, right? Kale chips are delicious, crunchy and super healthy! I used to make them all the time (in the oven) but totally forget about them & what a great snack they are until recently.
Because it has been so hot out, and our apartment gets sun most of the day (have I mentioned we don’t have AC here in the city????) I am reluctant to use the oven– my Arizona people know what I’m talking about. Enter The Air Fryer.
We got our air fryer as a wedding gift; I was so excited about it but wasn’t sure if we’d end up using it that often– you know how those trendy appliances usually end up sitting in the back of the pantry barely used. Spoiler Alert! I use it all the time. I LOVE the air fryer. If you don’t know what an air fryer is, it basically works by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism– a small convection oven if you will.
The best part about air frying is it gets everything super crispy, yet requires almost no oil to do so. Using an air fryer can lighten up some of your favorite fried foods like french fries, but also makes already healthy options, like roasted veges, way easier– seriously it’s amazing.
In my kale chip recipe, I prefer to use just a few sprays of Pam instead of olive oil as an even lighter option, but the recipe works great either way! You can also season your chips pretty much anyway you’d like. I am really into the Open Sesame seasoning at the moment; it’s the perfect blend of sweet and spicy.
To check out the air fryer we use click here!
What you’ll need to make the kale chips:
- 1 bundle of Kale
- cooking spray or olive oil
- optional: Trader Joe’s Open Sesame seasoning
- Wash kale & remove the stems– pat dry with a kitchen towel. Once dry, cut or tear into “chip-sized” pieces.
- In a large bowl either spray the kale with cooking spray (I use Pam), or drizzle with 1-2 tbsp olive oil, just enough to lightly coat. Season with a large pinch of salt. You can leave them plain with just salt (they’re delicious plain), or spice them up with some extra seasoning! They taste amazing with Trader Joe’s Open Sesame seasoning but are also good with garlic powder and/or chili powder 🙂
3. Once seasoned, add kale to the air fryer basket. Be sure not to overcrowd it– you may need to do multiple batches. I use and love this air fryer! Note: I recommend the family size air fryer, even if it’s just you– the larger basket size saves a lot of time!
4. Cook at 350 for 5-7 minutes or until kale is crispy. Tip: Remove the basket and shake it a few times during cooking to help dislodge any stuck chips and to help the kale cook and crisp up evenly!
5. Once cooked, lay chips out on a baking sheet to cool slightly; if they’re crowded together immediately after being removed from the air fryer they don’t stay as crispy.
6. Repeat with remaining kale and enjoy!!
In my opinion these chips are best enjoyed almost immediately (or at least the same day that they are made)– Dylan and I can eat an entire bundle of kale chips in one sitting. They’re healthy… don’t judge us. If you don’t plan on bingeing on kale chips like us, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days 🙂
Leave A Comment Below
Thanks for stopping by Clyde’s Corner today! If you enjoyed this recipe let me know in the comments below! If you try them out, don’t forget to post a picture to your social media account and tag me 🙂