Carrots. Sweet potatoes. Onion. Zucchini. Mushrooms. Squash. Tomatoes. This soup is packed full of nutritious vegetables and is oh so tasty!
I don’t know about you, but I love soup. I realize it’s not the most glamorous meal out there but it’s delicious, easy, and extremely budget friendly. For instance, if you break down this vegetable soup it costs MAYBE $1 per serving. Where can you go and eat a healthy, satisfying, delicious meal for one dollar? Nowhere, that’s where.
Every time I make homemade vegetable soup it reminds me of my days working in the Emergency Department in Michigan. During just about every shift, I would run to the cafeteria (before it closed for the night), grab a big styrofoam container of vegetable soup and eat it throughout the evening. One of the physician assistants that I scribed for was on the vege soup train too and she told me to try adding Franks Hot Sauce and either feta or parmesan cheese to it. Best advice EVER. Now, whether I’m eating homemade vegetable soup or running down to Whole Foods’ hot bar for a cup on the go, I always add Franks Hot Sauce and parm to it. Always.
If you don’t have these exact vegetables, no worries– use what you already have. Swap out an ingredient that you don’t like with something that you do! This soup is very forgiving, I promise. One of the best things about making a big pot of soup is that you can enjoy it for lunch and/or dinner all week long 🙂 . This soup pairs delectably with a piece of freshly baked, buttered bread; try out my 5-ingredient white bread recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy my Nana’s Italian Wedding Soup!
What you’ll need to make the soup:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6-7 large carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 small yellow squash, cubed
- 2-3 zucchini, cubed
- 8-10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 48 oz vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- *Herbs & Seasoning: 1 Tbsp each of thyme, parsley, chili powder, garlic powder, onion salt
*You can add or substitute any herbs or spices you want in this recipe, and by all means add more of one or all of them!
Servings: This recipe makings about 8-10 servings.
- Prepare vegetables: wash, peel and then chop into relatively equal sizes. Note: The vegetables will be added into the soup at different times (based on how quickly they cook) but having them all prepared ahead of time makes it much easier!
2. In a large pot, over medium-high heat, sauté carrot, sweet potato, & onion in olive oil for about 5-8 minutes. Tip: I like to lightly salt and pepper each step of the soup instead of trying to season the entire pot at once!
3. Stir in tomatoes (with the juice) and herbs/spices. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in vegetable broth.
5. Stir in squash, zucchini and mushrooms.
6. Bring soup up to a boil and allow the vegetables to cook down, then reduced to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
7. Add in white kidney beans and continue cooking uncovered for 5 minutes or until the beans are hot.
8. Taste for seasoning, and if needed, add salt/pepper!
I like to top my soup with some Franks Hot Sauce and a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese!
A side of homemade buttered bread is ALWAYS a good idea 🙂
If you try this vege soup, leave a comment below and let me know what you think! If you post a picture to your social media, don’t forget to tag me and use #clydescorner ❤