This creamy cashew tomato sauce is so decadent that you won’t believe it’s healthy.
Do you like creamy, rich, and decadent pasta sauces? If yes (and I’m pretty sure it’s a yes), you’re going to love this, & I bet you won’t even notice that it’s HEALTHY.
This cashew cream tomato sauce takes only a few minutes to whip up and can easily be made vegan if that’s your thing (just leave out the parm 🙂 ).
This dish is SO fast & easy– seriously, once your pasta water starts to boil it takes 10 minutes and it’s on the table! There’s no prep, no chopping, and no soaking the cashews ahead of time.
I used regular store bought penne pasta but this sauce would be delicious with whole wheat or gluten-free options as well! For how creamy this sauce tastes, you would never guess in a million years that there’s zero milk… or cream… or butter… or dairy of any kind (if you leave out the parm of course).
Dyl and I devoured this for dinner last night, and both agreed it was one of the best things we’ve had in a while. That’s saying something because we’re big foodies here in the Kahl household ❤ !
This sauce would also pair well with a fettuccine or spaghetti, check out my homemade pasta recipe here!
If you end up trying this delicious sauce, let me know what you think in the comments below ❤ !
- 1 lb box of penne pasta
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 and 1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup hot pasta water
- 1 tsp oregano (optional)
Servings: 4 servings
- Cook penne pasta in salted water according to package directions. This creamy cashew tomato sauce takes just a few minutes to whip up, so wait to start it until the pasta is almost ready.
2. In a blender (I’m using the Ninja smoothie attachment) combine cashews, crushed tomato, oregano, parmesan cheese, & pasta water– I carefully scoop out 1/2 cup of the hot water while the pasta is still cooking.
3. Puree the mixture (this should only take a few seconds). Taste for seasoning; add salt & pepper as needed and then mix by hand or pulse a few times in the blender. Note: Be careful when removing the the lid and pouring, as the sauce may be hot from the pasta water. Tip: If your sauce seems too thick, add in a little more pasta water or crushed tomatoes!
4. Pour sauce into a large microwave-safe serving dish (big enough to hold the pasta). If you want your sauce to be extra hot (like me) put it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds prior to adding in the pasta (hence the microwave safe dish). Alternatively, you can heat it up on the stove in a sauce pan for a few minutes (though this takes longer and uses more dishes… just saying).
5. Mix in penne pasta to the sauce & serve!
6. Top with a little parm …
… or A lot!
Can you guess which bowl is Dylan’s and which is mine?
Leave a comment on this recipe below
If you try out this creamy cashew tomato penne pasta recipe let me know what you think in the comments below!
This recipe was adapted and modified from Walder Wellness
Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.